Join an award winning tourism and transport company
Training and Development opportunities provided
Have a background in the tourism/ transport industry?
Experienced in customer service?
Looking for an exciting new work environment?
We encourage you to apply!
About the Role
The primary function of the Deck Hand role is customer service, maintenance of vessel presentation, ropes, paintwork and stores, and assisting with passenger and deck loading operations.
The Deck Hand responsibilities include provision of duties relevant to the vessels operations including but not limited to securing vessels to wharfs & moorings, loading/disembarking of vehicles, performing general cleaning and maintenance duties throughout the vessel including decks, breezeways, toilets, lounges, onshore facilities, storage and engine spaces.
This role will also be responsible for:
- traffic management with vehicle loading/unloading
- traffic marshalling when vehicles are awaiting to alight our vessels
- working in the onboard shop, making coffee, selling snacks, stock rotation, taking cash etc.
- Manage the organisation, supply, stocking, rotation and replacement of the vessel stores including ropes, paint, first aid, equipment and tools
- Perform scheduled and general ship’s maintenance duties including painting, deck and general labour
- Proactively assist in the reporting, management and completion of deck maintenance requirements, including signage, fire and lifesaving equipment, communications, and painting
- Assist with mooring operations and the safe loading, unloading and carriage of passengers and supplies
- Manage and assist crew with the cleaning and presentation of the vessel including between sailings, slipping and ship's cleaning duties including public areas, decks, storage and engine spaces and onshore facilities
- Participate in formal and informal training, as required
- Ensure that the highest levels of customer service standards are maintained at all times
- Improve customer engagement
- Ensure the highest levels of personal presentation and grooming
- Proven strong customer service skills
- Vibrant and easy going personality
- Committed to working harmoniously within the team and remain professional at all times
- Physically fit
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to perform autonomously
- Be available at short notice when there are operational needs
- Proven ability to handle difficult situations
- Be well presented at all times
Qualifications & Experience
- Drivers Licence
- Experience in working in a fast-paced team to reach goals
- Elements of Ship Board Safety qualification
- Coxswain Qualification
- Senior First Aid Qualification
- Experience in the Tourism and/or Hospitality Industry
- Experience in the Marine Transport Industry
- Vessel or general maintenance experience
How to Apply
Click APPLY and fill in as much information as you can in the track record section of the application, paying close attention to each question.
We are requesting your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are the best person for this position.
Applications close by 5pm on Friday 30th April 2021 unless appointed prior.
SeaLink Travel Group is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and embracing diversity to the benefit of all. We actively encourage applications from any background. We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.