Join an award winning tourism and transport company
Training and Development opportunities provided
Captain Cook Cruises (WA) - part of the SeaLink Travel Group, is searching for an experienced Shore Based Marine Maintenance Technician with a preferred trade background and broad skill-base, who can positively contribute to the culture of the team as well as keeping the fleet in a safe, compliant and pristine condition.
Hold a Certificate in Mechanical Trade?
Have a background in the tourism and transport industry?
Looking for an exciting new work environment?
We encourage you to apply!
SeaLink Travel Group is a publicly listed multi-modal transport and tourism operator, delivering world-class customer services and brilliant Australian holiday experiences.
Carrying more than 350 million passengers a year in different locations around the world, our Group has over 8,000 employees operating more than 3,200 buses and 78 ferries in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, the Northern Territory, Western Australia, London and Singapore.
SeaLink was founded in 1989 in Adelaide providing transport and ferry services between the mainland and Kangaroo Island. Today, we are a leading Australian marine, tourism and public transport provider with established international operations in London and Singapore.
SeaLink / Captain Cook Cruises operates a fleet of vessels cruising into the Swan Valley, Perth to Fremantle & out to Rottnest Island.
About the Job
The maintenance part of the job is exactly what it sounds like. You will conduct routine planned maintenance, attend to breakdown maintenance, assist contractors in higher level maintenance, support on-board engineers, skipper and crew when required and attend to an array of ad-hoc duties. Ideally, you will be an 'all-rounder' with skills beyond your core trade.
The Marine Maintenance Technician will be responsible for technical duties of 10 vessels which include 7 SeaLink/Captain Cook Cruises vessels and 3 TransPerth vessels operating out of Barrack Street Jetties and Elizabeth Quay area reporting directly to the Maintenance Manager. The role forms an integral part of a professional maritime support team for the Operational business; working alongside resources in HSEQ and Crewing to deliver best in class performance consistently.
The systems and machinery you'll gain exposure to include, but not limited to:
- 10 river vessels ranging from 20-35 metres from mono steel hulls to aluminium cat hulls
- Main propulsion machinery (4 to 6 cylinder high speed Diesel engines, OEM Volvo, Scania, Perkins, Caterpillar, Cummins and Yanmar)
- Auxiliary systems (Air-conditioning, Refrigeration, Pumps, Hydraulics and Sullage Systems)
- Electrical and instrumentation systems
- Hull structures and fittings
- Ad-Hoc general handyman tasks required on day to day basis
- Provide direct and strategic marine advice for the business and in support of the Operations Department
- Mentor and provide leadership while supporting the management team and contribute to management decisions
- This position will report directly to the Maintenance Manager but will also be an integral post of the management team. As the business is a 7 day and night operation, the position is required to be on call (in lieu of management) in case of emergencies and break-downs as well as work a 7 day rotating roster
- Safety conscious
- Possess a positive attitude, is dedicated, reliable, motivated and proactive
- Seeks approval from appropriate authorities
- Involves supervisor/manager in decision making
- Professional across all level of the business
- Builds positive internal and external relationships
- Willingness to work outside of business hours to meet deadlines in peak periods
- Certificate in Mechanical Trade (Diesel fitter, electrical, refrigeration or plumbing)
- Work within confined spaces ticket (preferred)
- Senior First Aid/Advanced Resuscitation (preferred)
- Open Drivers Licence
- Forklift Licence (preferred)
- Marine Engine Drivers Ticket (preferred)
- Welding experience
- Painting experience
- Plumbing experience
- Electrical fault finding (preferred)
- Basic understanding of workshop practices including OH&S and housekeeping
- Sound knowledge of WH&S obligations relevant to the marine/transport industry
- Proficient in written and verbal English
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer knowledge, proficiency with MEX fleet management software or similar a advantage
- Experienced in servicing, periodical inspections, preventative maintenance and repairs to commercial vessels
- The ability to be proactive and work in a dynamic team environment is crucial to the success of this role.
If this sounds like your dream job, we encourage you to apply!