Join an award winning tourism and transport company
SeaLink is looking for an individual with a strong work ethic and proven leadership skills to join their team for their Gladstone Operations servicing their Oil and Gas Clients.
Hold a Master 4 Certificate of Competency?
Have a background in the transport industry?
Available for an immediate start?
Looking for an exciting new work environment?
We encourage you to apply!
The SeaLink Travel Group (ASX: SLK) employs over 1100 people throughout Australia and operates across South Australia, Queensland, Northern Territory, Western Australia and New South Wales, under the leading tourism brands of SeaLink and Captain Cook Cruises.
- Proven strong leadership skills and people management
- Communication – written and verbal
- Organisation and planning
- Ability to perform autonomously and effective delegation
- Outstanding Vessel handling skills
- Flexibility and reliability
- Customer service
- Proven ability to handle difficult situations
- Interpersonal and relationship building
- Proven reporting and accountability
- Transport industry – Desirable
These key requirements will be complimented by experience and skills in the following areas:
- Master 4 Certificate of Competency - Essential
- MED 3 or higher - Essential
- MED 1 - Desirable
- AMSA Medical Certificate - Essential
- Gladstone Local Knowledge - Essential
- Senior First Aid and CPR – Essential
- Marine Radio Operator - Essential
- Driver’s license – Essential
- Construction Card - Essential
- Confined Space – Desirable
- Working Safely at Heights - Desirable
- MSIC – Desirable
About the role
The Master will be responsible for the daily efficient operation of the vessel whilst maintaining excellence in safety, reliability and staff customer service at all times. The primary function of this role is the safe and efficient operation and navigation of Company vessels. This position requires working as leader of a team, a high standard of interpersonal and organisational skills and effective written and verbal communication skills as well as proven safe ship handling and management skills.
The Master must ensure the vessel maintains compliance with all relevant local and international laws and company policies and is responsible for the implementation and verification of the Safety Management System on board.
Other duties include:
- Each Master has complete authority and responsibility for taking all necessary actions for safety, pollution prevention and the efficient operation of the vessel to which he/she is assigned.
- In all matters which effect or may affect safety or the environment, the Master shall report directly to the Operations Manager or DPA.
- Implementing the safety and environmental policy of the company, motivating the crew in the execution of that policy, issuing orders in a clear and concise manner and reviewing safety and pollution prevention activities.
- Reporting defects to the company and other matters with implications for safe operation or pollution risk
- Appraising and coordinating onboard training requirements of all staff as per SeaLink’s Safety Management System (SMS).
- Assigning roles to Engineers/Mates and Deckhands with respect to the company SMS and SeaLink’s Policies and Procedures.
- Ensuring the company SMS is complied with and kept up to date
- Reviewing onboard contingency plans and vessel procedures and reporting any deficiencies to the Operation Manager or Area Manager.
- Reporting non-conformities, accidents involving personnel or plant, and hazardous situations to the Operations Manager or Area Manager. Ensure correct Paper work is completed in accepted time frames.
- Ensuring that all documentation that is designated as controlled is up to date and issued as per company procedures
- Ensuring all records relevant to the SMS, and as defined in procedures, are available
- Ensuring the vessel and crew’s certificates are up to date
- Stability and related calculations in regard to the safe operation of the vessel
- Directly responsible for the passengers comfort and satisfaction in accordance with SeaLink’s policy and guide lines.
- Conduct weekly meetings with crew to ensure safe operations of all vessels. Meeting to be documented as per company policy.
- Conduct Daily prestart meetings with crew and document same.
- Conduct safety drills as per SeaLink’s Safety Management System.
You will be required to work outside of normal hours and be flexible with shift times. May be required for deckhand work as well. A thorough knowledge of all aspects of the vessel is essential to all aspects of this role. They will work in close conjunction with the Operations Manager and the Operations Scheduler.
This is a key role within the organisation and requires leadership, energy, commitment, initiative, teamwork, multi-skilling and time management skills.
If this sounds like your dream job, we encourage you to apply!