Join an award winning tourism and transport company
SeaLink is looking for bright and energetic individuals who have a strong work ethic and an enthusiastic attitude to join their crew!
Looking for an exciting new work environment?
We encourage you to apply!
SeaLink Travel Group is a publicly listed multi-modal transport and tourism operator, delivering world-class customer services and brilliant Australian holiday experiences.
Carrying more than 350 million passengers a year in different locations around the world, our Group has over 8,000 employees operating more than 3,200 buses and 78 ferries in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, the Northern Territory, Western Australia, London and Singapore.
SeaLink was founded in 1989 in Adelaide providing transport and ferry services between the mainland and Kangaroo Island. Today, we are a leading Australian marine, tourism and public transport provider with established international operations in London and Singapore.
- Have an attention to detail with regard to cleaning and maintenance duties
- Work harmoniously within the team and remain professional at all times – even when off duty
- Be flexible to take on extra shifts if required
- Be available at short notice to join a crew when there is operational needs
- Be well presented at all times
These key requirements will be complimented by experience and skills in the following areas:
- Elements of Ship Board Safety qualification
- Inland water Coxswain qualification – Desirable
- Senior First Aid Qualification
- Drivers Licence
- Proven achievement of excellence in customer service
- Highly developed interpersonal and solution focussed skills
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience in working well in a small team
- Experience in the transport industry
About the role
The Deck Hand is an integral part of safe operations of our jet boats operating from Cleveland Redland Bay, Ipswich to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands. This will include working as part of a small team, whilst maintaining excellence in safety and reliability at all times.
Exceptional interpersonal skills with a high level of organization are essential to this role. It is also a requirement to have excellent verbal and written communication skills, time management and requires a strong knowledge of emergency procedures. Deckhands may be called on at short notice to replace a crew member on any other vessel within our SEQ operation.
Working in close conjunction with all crew, duties will include:
- Assisting with safe daily operations of the vessel, in accordance with policies and procedures of SeaLink SE Qld.
- Initiates action to prevent unsafe incidents, identifies and notifies Master/Operations of safety problems and assists with implementation of solutions.
- Participates and contributes to emergency response plans
- .Displays a pleasant and helpful manner.
- Monitors loading in a safe and timely
- During transit voyages maintenance work to be carried out
- Advises vessel master of operating deficiencies and advises of possible causes
- Assists master and other crew in discharge of their daily function as required.
- Responsible for general maintenance and cleanliness of the of the vessel including toilets, deck bins etc.Carries out other directions as requested by the master.
- Securely moors the vessel at each pontoon, coils mooring lines neatly at the completion of each trip and inspects and splices mooring lines when required.
- Ensures the vessel is protected from being damaged when in its berth.
- Keeps look out when under way and when departing wharves and as directed by the Master.
- Carries out deck patrols during shift.
- Ensures that the area around the stowage positions of the safety, firefighting and emergency equipment is clear of obstructions at all times.
- Cleans windows inside and out and sweeps floors as required.
- Maintains personal grooming and dress standards as set out in the Uniform Policy and wears appropriate PPE as required.
- Supervised maintenance duties as required.
In order to succeed in the role, you will possess a valid Certificate in Elements of Shipboard Safety, a valid Certificate in Senior First Aid, a valid Excavator certificate, Minimum 3 days training in Deckhand duties
If this sounds like your dream job, we encourage you to apply
SeaLink Travel Group is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.