SeaLink Travel Group is a publicly listed multi-modal transport and tourism operator, delivering world-class customer services and brilliant Australian holiday experiences.
Carrying more than 350 million passengers a year in different locations around the world, our Group has over 8,000 employees operating more than 3,200 buses and 78 ferries in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, the Northern Territory, Western Australia, London and Singapore.
SeaLink was founded in 1989 in Adelaide providing transport and ferry services between the mainland and Kangaroo Island. Today, we are a leading Australian marine, tourism and public transport provider with established international operations in London and Singapore.
SeaLink NT welcomes applications for a Deckhand position with our ferry operation from Groote Eylandt to Bickerton Island. Two positions are available, a full-time permanent position with an immediate start and a casual fill-in position.
The successful candidate for the full-time position will be based on Groote Eylandt or is willing to relocate, accommodation arrangements are negotiable. To meet the adhoc roster requirements of the casual position, the successful candidate must reside on Groote Eylandt. You will be joining a small and committed team who aim to provide a safe and reliable transport link for the local indigenous community. The ordinary working hours will be Monday to Friday.
- Able to perform under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to relate to passengers from a variety of backgrounds and provide assistance
- Strong work ethics and 'Can Do' Attitude
- You are safety minded and able to follow company instructions
- Be well presented at all times
These attributes will be complimented by experience and skills in the following areas:
- You hold or are willing to obtain an Elements of Shipboard Safety Certificate
- You hold or are willing to obtain Advanced First Aid and Resuscitation qualifications
- Proven track record of customer service
- Strong verbal communication skills
About the role
The Deckhand role requires a high level of interaction with customers. As the face of the company, this role is responsible for assisting with vessel operations while providing customer service to the passengers on board. This is a hands-on position, assisting passengers, fulfilling deckhand and cleaning duties.
To ensure safe and efficient vessel operations, clear communication, physical fitness and the ability to follow instructions and safety guidelines is paramount in this role.
Working in close conjunction with the Vessel Master, duties will include:
- Deck duties, including rope work.
- Ticket sales.
- Ensure the highest standards of customer service at all times.
- Assist with the safe, efficient and timely boarding and disembarkation of all passengers.
- Assist passengers where necessary with their luggage..
- Perform cleaning duties.
- Attend to passenger comfort and safety.
If this sounds like your dream job, we encourage you to apply!
Should you hold Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 qualifications then please also feel free to enquire about our Engineering position on Groote Eylandt.
SeaLink Travel Group is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.